Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Ncat] Question: What DLLs are required to run ncat on Windows?

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 03:44:39 -0700

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 06:45:49PM +0300, Shinnok wrote:
Hi,

On 05/24/2011 12:30 AM, Fyodor wrote:
On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 04:19:03PM -0500, Daniel Miller wrote:

internal network. If I choose to upload Ncat, what DLLs will it require on
the target system? Especially, what is unlikely to be there already? Is
there a way to build it "statically linked" to avoid DLL issues?

I agree that a "portable Ncat" would be very useful to many people.
We've had this in the Nmap TODO file for quite a while:

o Investigate and document how easy it is to drop Ncat.exe by itself
  on other systems and have it work.  We should also look into the
  dependencies of Nmap and Zenmap.  It may be instructive to look at
  "Portable Firefox"
  (http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable) which is
  built using open source technology from portableapps.com, or look at
  "The Network Toolkit" by Cace
  (http://www.cacetech.com/products/network_toolkit.html).  For Nmap
  and Nping, we may want to improve our Winpcap to load as a DLL
  without requiring installation.  There is a separate TODO item for that.

If anyone wants to investigate and try to find a solution for this,
please do!

I can pick this up, if it's ok with David too?

Is portable Ncat desired only for Windows?

Yes, if you have the knowledge this task takes, I think it's a good job
for you.

David Fifield