Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Feature request: Accept decimal notation for target host

From: Paul Eubanks <pauleubanks () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 15:45:23 -0400

Yes, and Yes.  You're correct.  If it's too much of a PITA to implement,
blame Mikko since he brought it up.  :D

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>wrote:

Even though I don't personally believe this is a good idea (very limited
use, confusion, etc.), it would solve the oft-repeated question of how to
scan sequential blocks of addresses that don't line up on round byte
boundaries. For example,

nmap 192.168.10.100-255 192.168.11.0-99

could be written as

nmap 3232238180-3232238435

although I can't believe anyone would care enough to do it this way.

Dan

P.S. This was likely brought up in response to a tweet by @mikkohypponen
about 5 hours ago:
https://twitter.com/mikkohypponen/status/72663582327832578