Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Updater Proposal

From: "Colin L. Rice" <ricec2 () rpi edu>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 14:29:17 -0400

But it doesn't support one use case that people have asked
for, which is to get some updated scripts in between major Nmap
releases.

I see that not just as one use case, but as the main point.  We
already distribute binaries for all three key platforms which provide
easy upgrades between releases.  At most, you only have to download
and run a quick self-installer.  But what about when we add the next
Conficker detection script or the next afp-path-vuln?  Previously we
had to go through all the trouble of making a new Nmap release and (in
the Conficker case) suffer a bit of downtime and a bit of
excess-bandwidth-charges from all the traffic.

It am thinking of having a script repository as well as a binary one.
This way we can have separate stores for the scripts which should be
updated very quickly and it can do upgrades between versions if needed
but if the script server goes down, the binaries will still be
accessible and vice versa. However this is going to mean we will have
multiple repositories to deal with which could increase administrative
headaches.

--Colin