Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Using --top-ports for UDP selection only?

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 10:07:01 -0500

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 3:38 AM, Fyodor <> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:59:41PM -0500, Chris Clements wrote:
Hi all,

Is there a way I can tell nmap to scan all TCP ports, but only the top, say,
200 most common UDP ports?  My first thought was to use "‹top-ports 200" and
specifying only TCP ports with ­p (-p T:1-65535), but it seems that
specifying specific TCP ports  overrides the top port selection for UDP.

Admittedly this is a little bit of a hack, but I first generate the
list of top UDP ports (10 in this case):

./nmap -oX - -sU --top-ports 10

The output 'scaninfo' line includes the services list in Nmap format:

53,67,123,135,137-138,161,445,631,1434

So then I can run Nmap with:

-p T:1-65535,U:53,67,123,135,137-138,161,445,631,1434

Of course if this becomes a common incantation, you save the Nmap
command string to use later.  Or you can get all fancy and make a
custom nmap-services with just those ports you're interested in.

That is pretty much what I do.  I have a shell script with -pT:-,U:{a
bunch of ports}

It includes the Top 25 UDP ports and another 10 or 15 that I want to include.

My biggest problem with running nmap from a shell script is that
interactive mode doesn't work any longer and that's not something you
can fix.

Having a topX alias available for TCP and UDP independentaly would be
nice.  So would having a way to say topX but not Y and Z.

Until then, shell scripts are the way to go.

-Jason