Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Service Scan Error "Warning: Servicescan failed to fill ostype_template"

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 14:07:40 -0700

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 08:40:45AM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 01:14:04PM -0500, Chris Clements wrote:
I've not seen this before, but I received this error while doing a version
scan today:

Warning: Servicescan failed to fill ostype_template (subjectlen: 1080,
ostypelen: 32). Capture exceeds length? Match string was line 9962: p/$3/

What version of Nmap is it? This is a bug in the nmap-service-probes
file. If it's from a released version, we just need to know the version
number (nmap -V), otherwise send us line 9962 of nmap-service-probes.

It turns out the match line was too loose and it was matching an HTTP
reply. I made it a bit more specific, and also added a fingerprint for
the server you sent me.

David Fifield