Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: disable valid IPv4 address check to allow scanning Hamachi (5.0.0.0/8) targets?

From: Brolin Empey <brolin () brolin be>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2011 15:34:04 -0700

SM wrote:
At 14:51 02-04-2011, Brolin Empey wrote:

You should use a less ambiguous date format, such as ISO 8601. If you include the time of day too, the UTC offset should be included.

When I try scanning an Hamachi client's 5.0.0.0/8 IP address, nmap
states "doArp can only handle IPv4 addresses" and aborts. I know this
is because Hamachi's assignment of 5.0.0.0/8 IP addresses is
unofficial, but it would be nice if the valid IPv4 address
check could be disabled so Hamachi clients and other hosts with
unofficially-assigned IP addresses could still be scanned.

ping 5.0.0.1

That is not useful:

[brolin@brolin-V13] [0] [5] ~/
$ /cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/PING.EXE -t 5.0.0.1

Pinging 5.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 5.0.0.1:
Control-C
[brolin@brolin-V13] [127] [6] ~/
$

Anyway, how does ping help me to list open ports on an Hamachi client?