Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: FTP Anon Inquiry (Writeable Directory)

From: Rob Nicholls <robert () robnicholls co uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 17:03:10 +0100

Hi Zack,
My question is, how can I tell that its writeable? Can I add files to that
folder since it writeable?

The script is very basic in its check, it doesn't confirm that files definitely can be written, it simply checks the returned directory listing for a "w" character to indicate that files can potentially be written inside that directory.

You can see this in the ftp-anon script:

for _, item in ipairs(listing) do
  -- Just a quick passive check on user rights.
  if string.match(item, "^[d-].......w.") then
    item = item .. " [NSE: writeable]"
  end
  result[#result + 1] = item
end

This means it could potentially be a false positive, but I suspect it's generally very unlikely to be wrong. If you want to know for sure you'll need to try and manually create a file within the directory, as the script currently doesn't appear to be capable of uploading a file to be 100% sure.

Rob