Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap OS detection providing different results

From: Houcem HACHICHA <houcem.hachicha () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 17:15:33 +0100

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 5:05 PM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:

On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 12:00:52PM -0400, Ryan Giobbi wrote:

Excellent, thanks. I think people underestimate how important corrected
signatures are.

True. In fact when that "submit signature" pops up in Nmap, one says "how's
my signature gonna change the Super Duper Nmap signature DB?" . Another
issue is that in 99% of the cases we don't actually scan OSs that we know
beforehand.
IMHO it would be efficient to emphasis the signature-submission, using a
"Nmap needs you" on the website for example.

David Fifield

--
*Regads,
Houcem*