Nmap Development mailing list archives

very nmap service scans

From: Chris Clements <cclements () flatearth net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:39:56 -0500

When I run the following nmap (svn 24435) command on my local network:

Nmap ­A ­vvvv ­sSUCV ­O ­T4 ‹max-scan-delay 200ms ‹masx-rtt-timeout 200ms
192.168.2.25-254

The tcp and udp scans complete in ~14s and discover a total of 50 open ports
across 11 hosts.  The service scan then starts and takes around an hour and
a half, followed by the NSE scan that takes around 15s.  Two questions about
this:

1.  With the configured timings and responses of the tcp, udp, and nse
scans, is it expected that a default version scan would take 1.5h for 50
open ports (total, not per host)?

2.  Is there a way I can increase the speed of the version scan?  While it
is running, a tcpdump only shows between 3-10 packets per second being sent,
and through put varying from 30 bytes/sec to 2 Kb/sec.

Chris Clements