Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: open.scanme.nmap.org suggestion

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 16:54:25 -0700

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 10:51:01PM +0100, Wolfric wrote:
Hi Folks

What are the chances we could see basically a box out there like
scanme but with all the ports open and with a service listening (even
if it's just an echo server or redirecting everything to ssh on tcp
and udp.

This is extremely useful for testing which ports are blocked from
inside a firewalled environment however I can see how scanning 65k
ports could probably piss off whoever is hosting the server as it
would probably garner a lot more activity per user and a lot heavier
use. Sure if the load becomes too heavy you can just tank the idea and
take the domain name offline.

I myself have an amazon cloud server setup for just this and I've
found it dead handy but I thought it'd be a nice idea for nmap to have
an official one.

Thanks for the suggestion.  If you're OK with other people scanning
the machine you set up for this purpose, you're certainly welcome to
announce the IP address here on nmap-dev and/or other email addresses
or social networks you might use.  You can even give it a memorable
DNS name so people might recall it in a pinch.

Cheers,
Fyodor