Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: GSOC PRoposal

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 12:03:18 -0700

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 12:13:33AM +0530, rajeev bharshetty wrote:
Hi,
Here is attached GSOC Proposal for nmap . This is rough sketch .
Please , help me to refine the formatting , the content and all the stuff we
need in the proposal.

The formatting of the proposal looks good. Your official proposal will
have to be submitted though the application page at
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2011/nmap. Speaking
for myself, I prefer to see the proposals as plain text or HTML rather
than as an attached word processor document.

You should follow the application template from the above link. That
means copying the questions from the template into your proposal:

== Please describe in a few lines your C/C++ knowledge or experience (if any):
<Fill in the blank.>

I'm asking IPv6 applicants to please review the notes and code in this
repository and make comments:
        svn co --username guest --password "" svn://svn.insecure.org/nmap-exp/david/ipv6

Because you have mentioned traceroute specifically, you should know that
it has already been partially implemented (ICMPv6 echo probes only)
here:
        svn co --username guest --password "" svn://svn.insecure.org/nmap-exp/david/nmap-ipv6

I think you have greatly underestimated the difficulty of the OS
detection task. The majority of this job will not be simply porting the
IPv4 engine to IPv6, but researching new OS probes and testing their
effectiveness.

The same applies for your section on host discovery. All you have said
is that brute-force scanning will not be effective, but you have not
said what you will do instead.

David Fifield