Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Shinnok's Status Report - #8 of 17

From: Shinnok <admin () shinnok com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 23:37:46 +0300

On 06/21/2011 10:47 PM, David Fifield wrote:
On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 09:58:37AM +0300, Shinnok wrote:
Greetings nmap-dev,

Here goes my eight status report.

Accomplishments:
*[Ncat]Ncat portable for Windows
*[Ncat]--exec server modes are non-blocking on Windows too.
*[Ncat]reviewed Marek's new proxy patch
*[Ncat]Fix Ncat accepting multiple connections while not in server mode.

This might just be a matter of terminology, but what do you mean here?
There is "connect mode" and "listen mode" and "broker mode"; do you mean
that there was a bug in connect mode or broker mode?

It is a matter of terminology because listen mode has three modes:
single listen(this one works as expected after my patch), keep-open and
broker.
By server mode I refer to the last two while the first one is pretty
obvious. If this terminology is wrong, feel free to list the correct
terminology that I should use and I will stick with that. :-)

The bug was in single listening mode, because it was accepting more then
one connection. The fix is in r24197.

*[Ncat]Fixed two other major(related to -m and default listen on ipv4)
s/ipv4/ipv6
bugs in Ncat.

Would you elaborate on these major bugs? What was so serious, and what
did you do to fix them?
This are referring to r24130 and r24193.
The first one fixes broken --max-conns limits after Colin's ipv6 default
listen patch, where he forgot the increment maxfds for read_fdlist.
The second one fixes the first one, because incrementing maxfds after an
init_fdlist has been done, seemingly corrupts the heap or somewhere near
that.

I was probably wrong attaching the *major* class to these bugs. I should
be more careful next time.

*[Nmap/Zencat]fixed one bug in Nmap and a trivial one in Zenmap

This too, can you be more specific?
Nmap:
r24127
Fix build_icmp_raw and build_igmp_raw filling the packet data payload
with zeroes instead of the supplied random data, when nmap is invoked
with --data-length.

Zenmap:
r24181
Change Zenmap's "Slow comprehensive scan" profile script selection from
"all" to "discovery" and "safe" categories.

--

As a lame excuse, I was pretty early in the morning when writing this
status report and I didn't take care to sound politically correct and

Regards,

Shinnok