Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: GSOC 2011 Nmap ideas and proposals for me

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 01:16:53 -0700

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 08:39:29AM +0600, Kirill Sukhorukov wrote:
Hello everybody!

I am very interested in many fields of Nmap project:

1) Web scanning
2) Vulnerability and exploitation
3) Discovery scanning

And IPv6 features implementation (OS fingerprinting, ICMPv6, issue with
ip-range scanning)

I have a solid background in security audit, programming, system
administration and networking.

   * C
            --> Fault tolerant network applications.
            --> Multicore programming(OpenMP/MPI/CUDA)
            --> + hreads, forks, semaphores, shared memory programming
experience.
   * C++ fundamentals
   * Perl scripting
   * PHP / AJAX / HTML+CSS
            --> Have a status of Zend Certificated PHP 5 Engineer
   * Databases (MySQL / PostgreSQL)
   * Knowledge of IPv4 protocols stack, static and dynamic routing (RIP,
OSPF, EGRP), VLAN management on CISCO equipment.
   * Theoretical knowledge regarding IPv6
   * Windows / *NIX administration

 I have not participated in open source projects yet, but have a burning
desire to fix this
 and contribute my summer energy and power in order to make nmap better.

Will glad to get any suggestions/hints/advices/links related to the best use
of my skills in borders of Nmap project.

Make sure to read these pages:
        http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/home/google/gsoc2011/nmap
        http://nmap.org/soc/
        http://nmap.org/soc/GeneralRequirements.html
        http://nmap.org/soc/apply.html

It appears you've got a broad range of skills. For the NSE tasks, you
will need to know Lua. http://nmap.org/book/nse.html is a good place to
start and has further references.

As for IPv6, you must be detailed in your proposal about what your plans
are. Especially for OS detection, we want to see that you are able to do
network research and implement the ideas that you come up with.

David Fifield