Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: regarding gsoc

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 00:48:57 -0700

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:51:19AM +0530, ankur jain wrote:
Hello sir,
I, Ankur Jain am a student of computer science and engineering,Banaras HIndu
University.I have reading a lot about nmap of late and am very interested in
the project idea for developing features for IPv6. It would be great if
could just guide me a bit to give a kick start ti the project.I am very well
versed with c programming and have already started reading the nmap source
code.Any guidance from your part as to what files to read etc would be very
helpful.

A good place to start reading code is nmap_main in nmap.cc. Follow it
through until you see the code you want to analyze; for example
ultra_scan is the main port scanning function. IPv6 work will probably
also require changing libnetutil/netutil.cc.

Make sure to read these pages:
        http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/home/google/gsoc2011/nmap
        http://nmap.org/soc/
        http://nmap.org/soc/GeneralRequirements.html
        http://nmap.org/soc/apply.html

I'm suggesting to IPv6 applicants that they read and comment on the
program here:
        svn co --username guest --password "" svn://svn.insecure.org/nmap-exp/david/ipv6

David Fifield