Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 5.36TEST3 test release

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 16:27:05 -0800

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 01:22:00AM -0800, Fyodor wrote:
On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 11:45:19PM +0000, nmap-dev () the-jedi co uk wrote:
This RPM (on 64-Bit Fedora 14) still seems to have the same problem as
5.21 did, as reported earlier:

    http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2010/q1/308

Thanks for the reminder.  I am able to reproduce this on my Fedora 14
x86-64 machine too.  I think we do need to address this before the
next release.

I started looking into this. I can reproduce it with 32-bit RPMs that I
build on CentOS 5.5 and run on Fedora 14.

When Nmap is compiled statically (for RPMs) on the CentOS 5.5 boxes,
it gives this warning:

nmap.o: In function `nmap_main(int, char**)':
/home/fyodor/rpm/BUILD/nmap-5.36TEST3/nmap.cc:1453: warning: Using 'gethostbyname' in statically linked applications
requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking

I found the reason why Ncat's name resolution works while Nmap's
doesn't: the ncat binary isn't linked statically.

I tried building a dynamically linked Nmap RPM and it works (built on
CentOS and run on Fedora). What's the reason that it's being linked
statically?

David Fifield