Nmap Development mailing list archives

OpenVAS-4 and Nmap

From: "Jan-Oliver Wagner" <Jan-Oliver.Wagner () greenbone net>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 17:02:05 +0100

Hello,

today, OpenVAS-4 was finally announced. We have made significant
progress across all aspects with this release.
You can find details here:
  http://www.openvas.org/news_archive.html#openvas4

With regard to Nmap we established

 * Wrapping of 77 NSE scripts so that these can be
   accessed, managed, handled via the OpenVAS management framework.
   This was discussed on nmap-dev some time ago and our works
   were completed early this year. See here for the code:
   http://wald.intevation.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/trunk/openvas-plugins/scripts/nmap_nse/?root=openvas

   To me this is not the final solution for getting Nmap
   and OpenVAS scripting effords streamlined.
   Far more mutual benefit is possible.

 * Network-level scans to allow Nmap show how efficient it can run:
   OpenVAS now makes ist possible to run a Nmap scan across the whole
   network and prepare detection information for each host for subsequent
   vulnerability analysis.
   Previously the only method was to run Nmap again and again for each
   single host to run the port scan and service detection.
   This feature is not the default in OpenVAS-4 yet, but personally I'd
   like to see it becoming the default behaviour.

We are now working on a tighter integration of the Nmap results for
OS and service detection with some special emphasize on how we can
take advantage of CPE.

However, July 7-9 2011 we will have the 3rd OpenVAS developer
conference over here in Germany where the questions on how to deepen
the OpenVAS-Nmap coupling should be discussed.
Nmap developers are of course very welcome to join us.

Any ideas, proposals or other input is welcome any time, naturally.

All the best

        Jan