Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSEC Enumeration script: license text

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 01:39:19 -0800

On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 10:56:51AM +0100, John Bond wrote:
I wanted to get to know dnssec and nse  a bit more so decided to write
an nse script to enumerate NSEC records.  unfortunately the dns.lua
library that comes as standard (using mac ports) dose not have support
for dnssec or edns.  so in order to produce my script i have had to
hack about with the dns library a little.

In your script you have

license = "BSD 3-clause"

In an effort to be more exact and to standardize for other people who
want to use a BSD license, what Fyodor and I talked about doing was
putting a copy of the license text in scripting.xml and then linking to
it like this (or similar):

license = "New (3-clause) BSD license--See http://nmap.org/book/nse-script-format.html#bsd-license";

One difficulty is that the 3-clause license has text that's meant to be
replaced with the name of an organization:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_license#3-clause_license_.28.22New_BSD_License.22_or_.22Modified_BSD_License.22.29

        "Neither the name of the <organization> nor the names of its
        contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
        from this software without specific prior written permission."

Presumably <organization> would be "John Bond" in this case, but it
would be different for other scripts. What do you think about using the
2-clause a.k.a. simplified BSD license?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_license#2-clause_license_.28.22Simplified_BSD_License.22_or_.22FreeBSD_License.22.29

The script notice would be something like

license = "Simplified (2-clause) BSD license--See http://nmap.org/book/nse-script-format.html#bsd-license";

You could of course use the Nmap license like the other scripts do. But
it's probably a good idea to figure out these details anyway, because
scripting.xml does say, "Script authors may use a BSD-style license (no
advertising clause) instead if they prefer that."

David Fifield