Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Named pipe library

From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 01:48:29 -0500

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 1:07 AM, Chris Woodbury <chris3e3 () gmail com> wrote:
In the process of adding named-pipe support to the SQL Server scripts,
I created an NSE library for named pipes[1]. The primary component is
a "named_pipe" class, which is modeled after a socket (i.e. connect(),
disconnect(), send(), receive() ), and it is essentially a wrapper
around calls to the SMB library, with some state and logic to make
things easier. Its main features (aside from its existence) are some
pipe-specific error handling and automatic reassembly of multi-packet
messages. In the course of writing it, I added [2] a few bits of
functionality to smb.lua to support named pipes, including a bugfix
for the handling of the NT_STATUS_BUFFER_OVERFLOW, which, despite its
scary name, means that there's another packet coming to complete the
message. While I'm at it, I have another patch [3] for smb.lua, which
just adds a bit more detail to a few debug messages.

-chris

[1] namedpipes.lua - I'm not sure if this is better kept separate, or
merged into an existing library.
[2] smb_pipe_support.patch
[3] smb_debug.patch

This library needs either a different name or we should start thinking
about making sub-modules for our libraries (e.g. smb.namedpipe). I
thought at first this was a wrapper around mkfifo ;).

--
- Patrick Donnelly