Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Same osclass entry output with two different accuracy because of case (update nmap-os-db)

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 19:10:31 -0800

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 02:24:19AM +0100, jmed wrote:
Hello,

While scanning at random in order to test integration of nmap results in
mysql, I've found the following situation :

Nmap 5.36TEST3 with cmdline :
nmap -iR 1000 -A -oX integration_test3.xml

One particular IP address gave me two osclass entries that are very similar
:
<osclass type="general purpose" vendor="FreeBSD" osfamily="FreeBSD"
osgen="5.X" accuracy="95"/>
<osclass type="general purpose" vendor="FreeBSD" osfamily="FreeBSD"
osgen="5.x" accuracy="88"/>

Is it normal / useful to get exactly the same osclass description except for
the capital/lowercase X and for the accuracy ?

I've noticed that there are only 3 Class entries in nmap-os-db that contains
a lowercase '.x' - and all are related to FreeBSD 5.x...

EDIT: while writing this mail, I've found the solution :
just changing lowercase x to a capital X in the os-db file solved the
problem : only one line for FreeBSD 5.X is output in the xml file.

Please update nmap-os-db ! :)

Thanks Julien. I just fixed it in r21850.

David Fifield