Nmap Development mailing list archives

GSoC 2011 - IPv6 idea

From: Linh Vu Hong <ling.vh4 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 05:02:30 +0200

Dear all,

I am a master student at DTU - Denmark. I just found the information about the GSoC 2011, and I am interested in adding
IPv6 features into Nmap especially the first 4 features which require research in the field. Last semester I have
worked on some security aspects of IPv6 Network Discovery Protocol and really want continue to my research on IPv6.

For the OS detection feature I found a technical report of Frederic Beck, Olivier Festor and Isabelle Chrisment and a
thesis of Eleftherios Nerakis about OS fingerprinting based on IPv6 Network Discovery Protocol. These papers are
published quite long ago (2006-2007), so I wonder if anyone has researched on and implemented those techniques in Nmap?

Furthermore, do I have to put exactly how I am going to do to add the IPv6 features into Nmap? Because some features
require research, so at this time I may have not the clear idea of the solution.

I joined the mailing list quite late, so please give me some advices. Thanks.

Besides, I would like to know how many positions are available for this project.

Best regards,

Linh