Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Minecraft "Insecure Mode" Detection Script

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 15:22:46 -0800

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 01:13:02PM -0600, Ron wrote:

I personally think that unless it's big, noisy, slow, or pointless,
it should be included.

Somebody doing a vulnerability scan of their network might see no
vulnerabilities, even though this vulnerability exists.

I agree that it should be included if people consider it a
vulnerability.  But it seems to me more of a configuration preference.
It tests whether the game allows you to play with any username you
choose, or if you need to go register a free account at minecraft.net
first.

We can put it back if people want it included with Nmap.  Of course
even if it isn't in Nmap proper, anyone can download and use it from
the seclists link.

I also think the script could be even more useful if it could gather
more useful information than just this one boolean config value.  Then
it would be like some of our other *-info scripts.

Cheers,
Fyodor