Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Do I have any chance???Please advise...

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 12:44:56 -0700

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 02:51:17PM +0530, Gulshan Kumar wrote:
Hi I am Gulshan(irc handle:-drake01)
I am a second year student persuing Computer Science and Engineering from
India.
I know C, C++, python well. Learnt LUA as suggested by Nmap project ideas
list. Have basic ideas about Computer Networks (how networks work and knows
socket programming). Not tried to code anything for nmap by now.
Currently trying to understand the code of NMAP source code and preparing
project idea for nmap project.
I joined the mailing list a bit late, actually quite late (because of some
unavoidable personal reasons).

I wanted to know following things from all of you (especially
administrators),

Q1-Where do I stand?? Am I too late for participating in GSOC2011 with nmap
as mentor??

You're not too late. You ahve until April 8 to submit a proposal. See
the timeline:
http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/timeline

It is better if you can start your proposal early so that you can
discuss it on this mailing list.

Q2-Am I following the right path (based on the steps which I am following,
mentioned above)??

You are doing things right. You need to choose one of the ideas from the
ideas page and build a strong proposal about it. I recommend that you
share an overall description of your project on this mailing list so
that you can get feedback about what is most important.

David Fifield