Nmap Development mailing list archives

quake3 opportunistic portrule

From: Toni Ruottu <toni.ruottu () iki fi>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 11:18:42 +0200

On another thread, I was discussing precise scanning of publicly
advertised quake3 servers. The other part of the story involves
detecting and scanning quake3 servers upon stumbling on an open port
during a regular port scan. It seems there is no ultimate default port
for running a quake3 server. However, some ports are more common,
presumably some of them are default configurations of some server
software. Below are some statistics I gathered today regarding the
amount of servers using a specific port number. Now the open question
is, which port numbers should I include in the port rule? The options
might include 1) all of the ports 2) anything used more than once 3)
anything used more than, say 10 times 4) top-3 5) only 14445 6) none

  what do you think?, --Toni

14445: 270
14701: 48
14957: 33