Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: http-vhosts.nse ready for beta

From: Carlos Pantelides <carlos_pantelides () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 04:41:05 -0800 (PST)

David:

I had to use the  bypass_cache option in http.head, otherwise the first
response was
getting cached and no later requests were effective.

weird, did not have this problem

I also changed the  output to show only the tested name and possibly a
redirect.

agree

The first thing I want you to change is that there is way
too much
output.

collapsed

The other thing I noticed is that the behavior is
surprising when a name
without a "www" (or other) prefix is used. When scanning
insecure.org
(with a shortened hostname list):

PORT   STATE SERVICE REASON
80/tcp open  http    syn-ack
| http-vhosts:
| org: 200
| www.org: 200
| docs.org: 200
|_images.org: 200

Now that I think about it, this particular case is probably
a side
effect of my using host.targetname to guess the domain, but
I think the
problem stands anyway. A good default behavior would be not
to make a
name shorter than two components. (This will still have
problems with
co.uk names for example.) If the user provides a name then
you always
accept it.

I'll check this. I am not sure, but I think that I've discarded host.targetname in one of my first attempts. I'd rather
prefer not to be so smart. There is a a script arg http-vhosts.domain as a last resort.

Make sure you make your changes from the latest copy of the
script in  Subversion.

sure

Carlos Pantelides