Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] ms-sql-info broadcast split

From: Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 00:44:31 +0100

On 23 nov 2010, at 00.10, David Fifield wrote:

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 07:56:24PM +0100, Patrik Karlsson wrote:
Hi all,

I've been working on splitting the broadcast functionality from the ms-sql-info script for a while.
I decided to make the broadcast script somewhat different than the unicast script, hence the different name.
The foremost reason is that I would like the broadcast script to be non intrusive and just discover hosts and
instances.
Unfortunately I came to this conclusion after doing considerable work on the ms-sql-info script to make it more
suitable for re-using the code in both scripts.
During the process I also managed to fix a few bugs that I've run into during the last few weeks so maybe its not
all bad.

The script supports the newtargets option and can be used like this to scan all SQL servers on the network using all
of the ms-sql scripts:
sudo ./nmap -PN -sT -p U:1434,T:1433 --script broadcast-mssql-discover,ms-sql-* -d3 --script-args newtargets

Anyway, In order to split out the broadcast functionality we could either use this re-worked new ms-sql-info script
or we would simply revert to a version before the broadcast code was added.
Any thoughts or feedback on this is most welcome!

Is there any reason to use the older version? It sounds like the
rewritten version is preferable.

No, I don't think so. I hope the new version is preferable.

David Fifield

//Patrik
--
Patrik Karlsson