Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Weird Crash - "WAITING_TO_RUNNING"

From: Rob Nicholls <robert () robnicholls co uk>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 22:33:49 +0000

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 14:40:07 -0700, Nathan <nathan.stocks () gmail com> wrote:
We believe that many of the connections we are scanning are satellite
Internet connections (some of our clients are retail stores or
restaurants, and they tend to have exotic ways to connect to the
Internet).  I speculate that perhaps the inbound routers for these
high-latency connections tend to proxy stuff...which may or may not
have anything to do with anything.  But I though I'd throw it out
there.

Is it possible that a Performance Enhancing Proxy is sending back the SYN/ACK you're seeing if the satellite connection gets busy (which might be why scanning the top 100 ports works in many cases, as it might be below the threshold required for the proxy to kick in)? I get the impression that such a proxy will always return a SYN/ACK even though it has no idea what the state is of the port at the other end (it probably hopes/assumes that most requests are legitimate ones from authorised hosts for known open ports?), which is why Nmap sees the SYN/ACK and assumes that the port is open - because the PEP claims that it is. It's possible that the PEP eventually returns a RST from the end device for closed ports, but Nmap would discount that packet as it's already perform the SYN scan. Even a full three way handshake wouldn't fix the scan results. Your best bet for accurate results is probably to slow down the scan to prevent the PEP from kicking in (if it's always present then you'll never get around it and always get false positives; Nmap could possibly check for RST packets afterwards, but filtered ports would probably still look open). Do you get accurate results with a much larger scan delay? I appreciate it'd take a day or so to scan, but can you try a scan delay of 1 second rather than 1ms? I presume you'd know prety quickly (e.g half way) if it was identifying loads of open ports like before.

Rob