Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Zenmap Build Guide

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 18:24:13 -0700

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 11:11:15AM +0100, Rob Nicholls wrote:
Is there any chance someone can look into updating the build guide?

I'd offer to do it, but I've spent the last few days hitting my head against
a brick wall trying to find a combination of third party binaries that work
properly together (I've even tried Python 2.5 and 2.7 - along with modules
built for those versions, although there isn't really any support for 2.7 so
I had to give up trying to go forwards).

I initially hit problems with "ImportError: No module named gio", which I
think was introduced when David included it in setup.py in r20329. David's
message says he's using GTK+ 2.18.7, but the build guide talks about 2.14
(which I had originally been using) and 2.16. After some digging around, it
sounds like GTK+ 2.14 might be too old to contain gio so I tried moving to
2.16 (and some newer versions), with little success (I've tried to find
newer win32 builds of the other packages too). In the few cases where I've
managed to get Zenmap to compile, it either crashes immediately or (usually)
starts, but will crash when trying to run a scan ("Error executing command
'module' object has no attribute 'STARF_USESHOWWINDOW'").

I haven't tried starting a new build environment from scratch for a
while, but there's nothing in the build instructions that looks
inaccurate to me. Here are the versions I have installed:

Windows XP SP3
gtk+-bundle_2.18.7-20100213_win32
Python 2.6.1
Cairo 1.8.8
pygtk-2.16.0-py2.6
pygobject-2.20.0-py2.6
pycairo-1.8.6-py2.6
py2exe-0.6.9-py2.6

GTK+ is installed in C:\GTK and Python is in C:\Python26.

There's a note here about possibly requiring
subprocess._subprocess.STARTF_USESHOWWINDOW instead of
subprocess.STARF_USESHOWWINDOW.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1016384/cross-platform-subprocess-with-hidden-window/3443174#3443174

Crashing immediately upon launching is what was happening to me before I
added gio.

Are you able to run Zenmap without using py2exe? Like this:

        cd nmap\zenmap
        C:\Python26\python.exe zenmap

David Fifield