Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Rainmap: scan own IP address

From: alexandru <alex () hackd net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 14:15:38 -0700

Hi,

On 2010-09-28, at 9:32 AM, David Fifield wrote:

I have a feature request for Rainmap. I think it would be handy to have
a way to easily scan your own IP address. This could be as simple as a
display on some page that says "Connecting from: A.B.C.D" so it can be
copied and pasted.

This feature is somewhere in my TODO list, but I'll bump it up seeing there's interest.

Incidentally, I got errors while trying to scan my router's external
interface for the nat-pmp service, http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2010/q3/738.

I checked the boxes:
* Skip discovery / assume online

I think you may have forgotten to mention *Ping. I've adjusted the label for 'Ping' to mention that selecting it will
disable port scanning options.

* UDP Scan
* Port range(s): 5350,5351
* Detect remote services/versions
* Scanning speed: normal
* Verbose

In the results page this showed the command

# nmap -sn -sU -sV -p 5350,5351 -T3 -v -Pn -PE -PP

There was no output, and I got an error email. When I try running that
command myself, the error is

-sL and -sn (skip port scan) are not valid with any other scan types
QUITTING!

This is a bug I've noticed as well, and something I'll address in the interface in a way similar to how -Pn is
set/unset depending on other options. Thanks for catching it!

This should now be fixed if you have JS enabled (a notice is shown if you don't, and validation errors follow if you
don't heed the notice). It'll require a bit more polish, so that users actually _see_ what's disabled when they toggle
the checkbox.

Existing scans will not work 'out of the box' and they'll require you to edit/save the scan, and address any validation
errors you see.

(For the second point, the ability to perform maintenance tasks on all the scans when things like this change is on my
TODO. At the very least, users should be informed that some of their scans require attention because they don't
validate etc. I'm not rushing to add this yet since changes like these are to be expected for some time coming. Schema
migrations are handled, however.)

--
@