Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] socket:receive_buf(...) broken

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 19:53:15 -0700

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 09:00:17PM -0600, David Fifield wrote:
On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 02:24:27AM -0400, Patrick Donnelly wrote:

I would like to eventually remove receive_buf completely. I believe that
such a function should be built into Nsock itself. There should be a
buffer associated with each iod so that you can ask for a certain number
of bytes (or lines, etc.) and get exactly that many, no more, with those
left over remaining in the buffer. The ssh pattern would be

I agree too.  The reason I wrote it that way more than 10 years ago
was as a small optimization hint.  The idea is that if you know you
will need 2048 bytes, you can tell Nsock not to was time calling back
each time it receives more data until it accumulates at least the
amount you need.  But it is confusing and not what people want in
general.  So I agree that it should be changed or replaced.

Cheers,
-F