Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Syslog Inquiry Part 2

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 09:49:37 -0600

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 02:51:26PM +0800, Roberto Yatco wrote:
Good day! It's me again. I asked yesterday regarding on how to send a
file (or its contents) to UDP port 514 (Syslog). Some of the replies
were useful and unfortunately, some were not. But it's okay it's my
fault because I didn't specifically tell the OS that I was using. The
nmap that I'm running is in a Windows-based platform. So far, I've
tried the following...

"nmap -T4 -A -oS OS 127.0.0.1 | logger -t nmap" by Lee Heath

Displayed was a list of options in Zenmap then at the end, this was displayed...

"nmap: option `-t' is ambiguous"

Are you running inside Zenmap? You won't be able to pipe commands as Lee
demonstrated from within Zenmap.

You can try this, but it has to be done from the command line:

nmap -T4 -A -oS - 127.0.0.1 | ncat --udp syslog-server 514

You won't see any output; it will all go to the syslog server.

David Fifield