Nmap Development mailing list archives

Can nMap port scan cause z/os mainframe to hang/stop transactions?

From: "Robert Macmaster" <bobmac () nettally com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:13:05 GMT

Hi. This is Bob.As part of a security audit I am doing for an organization, I recently (August 3) ran an nmap port scan
from my workstation against our IBM mainframe running Z/OS and DB2.  During the day of the scan some users began having
problems implementing specific transactions (a limited number of specific transactions could not be completed).
Subsequently, our mainframe administrator told me that my scans had likely caused the problem and that he had to stop
and restart some services a few hours later to correct the problem.Is there anywhere I can go to determine whether nmap
can crash or hang Z/OS or CICS, and determine whether my scan may have caused the problem?  Key parameters to reproduce
issue, if there is/was one:Scan was run from my internal workstation with no admin rights for any of the server or
network interfaces. The scan was nmap -sS -sU -p - -T4 -A -v -PE -PP -PS1-65535 -PA1-65535 --reason xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (ip
x’d out by me for security)Scan completed successfully in 224 seconds, listed many open ports, but incorrectly
identified mainframe os as OSs: OS/390, MVS The actual OS was z/os (a recent version)nMap version was 5.21note: I had
used the same scan for many of our windows servers without a problem.Will appreciate any incite or references you can
provide.  Many thanks.Bob