Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: [Call for Testers] Ncrack RDP module

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () robnicholls co uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 08:03:52 +0100

Hi ithilgore,

I had to make a couple of tweaks (see attached) to get this to compile on
Windows. I also had to create a LICENSE file for Ncrack.nsi (I copied an
existing one for Nmap to make NSIS happy).

I've tested against 2008R2 and Windows 7 and it seems to work fine when the
option "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote
Desktop (less secure)", but it didn't appear to cope particularly well when
"Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network
Level Authentication (more secure)" is selected. It seems (from Wireshark)
that the host sees the less secure request, responds with an [ACK], then
responds with [RST, ACK]. Ncrack seems to constantly retry without getting
anywhere:

rdp://192.168.1.11:3389 Attempts: total 0 completed 0 supported 0 --- rate
0.00
rdp://192.168.1.11:3389 Attempts: total 0 completed 0 supported 0 --- rate
0.00
rdp://192.168.1.11:3389 Attempts: total 0 completed 0 supported 0 --- rate
0.00
rdp://192.168.1.11:3389 Attempts: total 0 completed 0 supported 0 --- rate
0.00
rdp://192.168.1.11:3389 Attempts: total 0 completed 0 supported 0 --- rate
0.00
rdp://192.168.1.11:3389 Attempts: total 0 completed 0 supported 0 --- rate
0.00
rdp://192.168.1.11:3389 Attempts: total 0 completed 0 supported 0 --- rate
0.00
rdp://192.168.1.11:3389 Attempts: total 0 completed 0 supported 0 --- rate
0.00

Presumably it'd keep going until it reaches a timeout, assuming one has been
set. Is there a more elegant way of dealing with systems that are configured
to support NLA, or do we have to put up with this limitation until Ncrack
can support NLA?

I'll see if I can test against a 2003 host at some point, I'm especially
interested in seeing how well it copes when the host is configured to use
SSL rather than RDP, as I imagine it might fail in a similar way.

It's fantastic to see Ncrack support RDP, it seems to be a lot more reliable
and easier to use than some of the old tools I've played with in the past
(tsgrind, tscrack). I must admit there's a part of me that'll be quite
concerned when NLA support is in place.

Rob