Nmap Development mailing list archives

Updating scripts

From: Martin Holst Swende <martin () swende se>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 19:07:26 +0200

Hi list,

Thought I would just throw an idea here and see if it sticks...

A feature that would be neat would be to update the nse scripts without updating nmap. Why nse in partucular?
- It is interpreted, no need to recompile and reinstall nmap after update
- it is updated frequently, e.g when vulnerabilitied are released and scripts detecting them are released

Also, a nice addition to this feature would be to update from another location, e.g from Patriks nse- repo where he may
have some new scripts he wants some help testing.

All of this could be easily accomplished if the nse-parts are moved into a distributed moderns rcs, such as git, hg or
bazaar. I myself am mostly familiar with hg, but I think they all could be used for this purpose.

There are other benefits aswell, but these above would greatly benefit the nmap user base and not just the developers.
For developers, it would make it easier to track changes, submit (publish) new scripts or changes, develop in branches
and reduce the load for the person reviewing modified scripts.

Just my 5 cents.

Regards,
Martin