Nmap Development mailing list archives

Status Report for Drazen #16 of 16

From: Dražen Popović <drazen.popovic () fer hr>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 15:59:08 +0200

Hi everyone.
It's the final status report and I must admit I think I'll miss it (or
not?) XD.
The NDR library has gotten quite big and I spent last few days getting
some things in order, testing strings packing and making it more easy
for pidl to generate the code needed to communicate with the rpc
endpoint. I've chosen a design for "ndr.lua" which to me seemed good,
and it still is but I already have another design change in plan which
is purely internal to ndr library which will greatly improve
readability, maintenance and overall performance. Also I made a template
for generating rpc stubs using pidl. The stub generation itself still
holds and hope to make it somewhat operational even today. So...

Accomplishments:
      * NDR strings tested for every IDL scenario (structure context,
        array context, top level context).
      * NSE RPC programmers pass lua strings to string arguments of an
        rpc stub. Strings are of char, byte, small,short, long sizes.
      * Made a template for rpc stubs which pidl fills with appropriate
        code.
Priorities:
      * Generate working code using PIDL.
      * Further work on NDR library to make it more stable (even though
        it has some pretty good error handling as for now).
      * Get the "ndr.lua" into the trunk and port "msrpc.lua" to it.
      * Make detailed documentation of my work done here.
      * Take care of GSoC paperwork which frankly confuses the living
        hell out of me.

I stumbled upon an article of the creator of "PyMSRPC" which deals with
NDR itself. The article seems good but I noticed few bugs in their NDR
theory. So for anyone interested
http://dvlabs.tippingpoint.com/blog/2007/11/24/msrpc-ndr-types

Theres no point in telling how honored I am for participating in Nmap
project and working with such experts. I think my colleagues feel the
same. I wish to continue working with NSE as I think I can be of further
use to it. See ya, hear ya on nmap-dev and cheers from Pula, Croatia :).

Dražen

--
Laboratory for Systems and Signals
Department of Electronic Systems and Information Processing