Nmap Development mailing list archives

Status Report for Luis #16 of 16

From: "Luis MartinGarcia." <luis.mgarc () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 12:06:16 +0200

Hi, all!

So this is the end of this year's GSoC and my last status
report. I'm glad to inform that the Echo mode seems to be
working well and that the dev branch will be merged soon.
I'd like to say thank you to everyone that tested this new
functionality. Also, It's been a pleasure working for the
Nmap project again. From now on, I won't be working full
time on it but I'll be around for maintenance, and to
implement a few new features I already have in mind, so
I'll see you on this list.

Regards,

Luis MartinGarcia.

Accomplishments:

* Added Echo Mode to the man page.

* Added tests for the new echo mode to Nping's test script.

* Fixed a bug that caused Nping not to handle packets properly
  when running on ppp links (like when Fyodor uses it
  tethering through his cell phone) or when using Nping
  through a VPN connection.

* Make the server stop capturing packets when all connected
  clients finish their session.

* Added an option, --once, that makes the server quit after
  serving one client

* Fixed the stack overflow problem on Windows. Now there is
  no need to specify bigger stack sizes at compile time.

* Fixed a bug that caused the echo client to miss a lot of
  NEP_ECHO packets when sending probes at a very high rate.

* Echo Client now has the ability to bind to a specific IP
  address for the echo side channel connection.

* Fixed a minor bug that caused NEP_PACKET_SPEC packets to
  always contain the same protocol number.

* A few improvements and bugfixes to the server's packet
  matching engine.

* A few changes and improvements to the NEP RFC document.

* Fixed a bug that prevented Nping from receiving ARP
  replies due to a wrong MAC address being set.

* Improved client and server output messages.

* Fixed a bug in IPv4Header::getVersion() that caused
  a hardcoded version to be returned, instead of
  returning the actual contents of the packet.

* Sent a "call for testers" email to nmap-dev.

* Had a meeting with Fyodor and scheduled a last one.

Priorities:

* Merge the nping-echo branch.