Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Error updating script database - mssql.lua

From: Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 16:24:08 +0200

On 7 jul 2010, at 14.32, jason.j.williams () att net wrote:

I hope I'm sending this to the right place.

I've added the mssql.lua library to my NMAP install.  When I try to update the database with "nmap
--script-updatedb", I get the following:

Starting Nmap 5.30BETA1 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-07-07 08:27 EDT
NSE: Updating rule database.
NSE: error while updating Script Database:
[string "local nse = ......"]:17: /usr/local/share/nmap/nselib/mssql.lua:116: attempt to call field 'parse_timespec'
(a nil value)
stack traceback:
    [C]: in function 'assert'
    [string "local nse = ......"]:17: in main chunk

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jason

Hi Jason,

The error your seeing is the result of changes made in regards to how nmap parses time value.
The mssql library depends on these changes which were made in the stdnse.lua library.

Your best bet is probably to get the subversion release of Nmap in order to run the mssql scripts.
There's more information here on how to do so:
http://nmap.org/book/install.html#inst-svn

Regards,
Patrik Karlsson
--