Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] new function to parse arguments

From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 22:49:32 -0400

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Djalal Harouni <tixxdz () gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

I've just added a simple code to check script arguments to the stdnse
library in my branch: nmap-exp/djalal/nmap-add-targets  as r19753,r19755
and the patch is attached. The new function get_script_args() returns a
table of valid argument/value pairs.

This simple function if used by script writers, lets the user to specify
script arguments as:
--script-args="unsafe=1" or --script-args="unsafe"

So the user do not need to *set* the 'unsafe' argument to activate it.
The value of the argument is this situation will be a number '1' instead
of a boolean to avoid some possible comparison errors in scripts.

Adding code to specify/check argument types in the function will simply
add complexity.

Examples are shown in the nsedoc of the patch, pls let me know if you
have suggestions.

I would suggest returning multiple script-arguments instead of a
table. That way the script writer can do instead:

local arg1, arg2, argn = stdnse.get_script_args("arg1", "arg2", "argn");

--
- Patrick Donnelly