Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Supporting SNI throughout NSE

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 16:11:12 -0700

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 04:35:41PM -0600, David Fifield wrote:

What I propose is extending socket:connect to allow passing host and
port tables as an alternative to a string and a number, like we do
in lots of other places. If we get a table, we'll use
host.targetname for SNI. If we get a host name, we'll resolve it and
use it as the SNI.

How does this sound? It won't break backward compatibility, but all code
will have to be updated in order to support SNI.

It sounds good to me!  I can think of many cases where we might want
to use SNI against servers other than the listed targets (like for
following redirects, or prerule scripts where we don't have a host
structure), so I'd suggest that we just note the required table
members (and note that the normal host/ports tables meet the
requirements) rather than simply asking people to pass the host/port
tables.  Also, even if someone passes a table for the host (to enable
SNI), I think they should still be allowed to pass a plain port
number.

Cheers,
-F