Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Enabling DEP and ASLR on Nmap for Windows

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 16:40:55 -0700

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 04:03:47PM +0100, Rob Nicholls wrote:

I was hoping to do a little bit more testing before submitting a small
patch to enable ASLR and DEP, but it looks like everything is fine so far,
and with this information about working with EMET I might try and send
something out later today.

Thanks Rob.  Please do send that patch when you can, as we'd love to
include this in the next release.  Have you checked if all the DLLs
shipped with Nmap opt in to ASLR too (OpenSSL, Winpcap)?  My
understanding is that attackers can just exploit DLLs if any of them
are left unprotected.

*I was wondering if it was worth installing/patching/testing on 2000 given
that Microsoft stop supporting it tomorrow.

More testing is always helpful, so it would be great if you can.  But
if you don't have a Win2K machine, and you don't have any particular
reason to think this will cause a problem for Win2K, we can probably
do without for the moment.  Maybe someone else on this list can test
once we have a patch.

Cheers,
-F