Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Wireless NMAP use on Verizon Wireless

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:26:26 -0600

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 09:14:56AM -0400, Capt Harry wrote:
Apparently NMAP always assumes it has a hard wire connection. We use
Verizon wireless and can not get beyond the socket. The error says it
cant use sockets because they are not Ethernet connections, Is there
something we are missing ?

Are you using Windows? If you want to do any raw-packet operations on a
non-Ethernet interface, you have to use another operating system.
Windows has built-in limitations that don't allow the raw socket
operations that Nmap needs. We only have a workaround for Ethernet
interfaces.

If you can't change operating systems, try using the --unprivileged
option. You will still be limited in the number of things you can do,
but you will be able to do basic scans.

David Fifield