Nmap Development mailing list archives

nmap ping scan (with fixed digit) produces unreliable results

From: Peter Van Eeckhoutte <peter.ve () corelan be>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 20:11:57 +0200

Hello,

I was trying to find a way to make nmap ping hosts on my networks,
using a fixed digit

Let's say I want to ping all hosts ending in .3

I have tried

nmap -sP -v 192.168.0-255.3
nmap -sP -v 192.168.*.3

Both actions seem to trigger echo requests, but nmap returns that most (or all) of these hosts are up (which is not the
case)

Could this be a bug ?

Cheers

This transmission is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s).  If you are not an intended recipient you
should not read, disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use the information contained in this transmission.  The
information contained in this transmission may be confidential and/or privileged.  If you have received this
transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this transmission including any attachments.