Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: GSoC: Nmap on Android

From: Duarte Silva <duartejcsilva () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 09:49:25 +0100

Sorry, too late on the response. I didn't notice that some of the
points have already been addressed.

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Duarte Silva <duartejcsilva () gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

Since I'm getting pretty acquainted with the Android platform in my
job, I think I can shed a light on this issue. The main development in
Android is made in Java. The GUI is designed by editing XML files with
a specific schema. So porting the Zenmap GUI is really porting it all
(Zenmap is Python if I'm not mistaken).

Even though the main development of Android is based on Java, there is
the possibility of developing in native code. I don't know which level
of freedom one has with the Android NDK (never had the need to use it)
but if the existing code of nmap could be compiled and executed based
on the NDK, it would be a big plus (reinventing the wheel, no thanks,
especially when talking of nmap).

I'm thinking that this isn't a fairly linear thing do to. Taking into
accounts the environmental needs of nmap.

Regards,
Duarte