Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Rainmap] RFC: storing option descriptions (to be displayed in the UI)

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 13:55:31 -0700

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 05:24:10AM -0700, alexandru wrote:

# Group options together by section. The code creating the user-facing form
# looks at this mapping. It only renders sections based on these
# components, so this is also a way to add or remove scan options.
SECTIONS = {
    'TARGET': [],
    'DISCOVERY': ['-sn', '-Pn'],
    'TECHNIQUES': [],
    'PORTS': [],
    'SERVICES': [],
    'NSE': [],
    'OS_DETECT': [],
    'TIMING': [],
    'EVASION': [],
    'OUTPUT': [],
    'MISC': [],
}

# Each feature's information is keyed by the shortopt form. This key is also
# how we map parameters to the values parsed by NmapOptions. Code displaying
# the form uses 'NAME' for the field label, and 'HELP' to show information to
# the user.
FEATURES = {
    '-sn': {
        'NAME': 'Ping Scan',
        'HELP': 'Disable Port Scanning.',
    },
    '-Pn': {
        'NAME': 'No Ping',
        'HELP': 'Treat all hosts as online.',
    },
    # ...
}

Hi Alex.  This might work.  A potential downside is that there will be
less flexibility in arranging the scan page form since it will be
automated.  But on the other hand, this should keep it consistent.
You will probably need more information here about the arguments that
these options take.  Some are booleans that you can just specify or
not (no arguments).  Others can take a set of fixed arguments (like a
select box), while others are pretty free-form.

Also, we won't be supporting all of those sections.  For example, I
can't offhand think of anything in the "evasion" category that we
decided to support in our last meeting.

I tend to think that designing the page by hand might work out better,
but I'm not at all sure of that.  So we can try the auto-generated
approach first and see how it looks.

Cheers,
Fyodor