Nmap Development mailing list archives

Always practice safe software: a lesson from UnrealIRCd

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 17:24:09 -0700

The UnrealIRCd team just made an interesting vulnerability announcement:

http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2010/Jun/277

It seems that the Unreal has been trojaned since last November on at
least some of its official mirror sites.  The backdoor is very simple
and allows anyone to run arbitrary system commands pre-auth.  I've
already seen one group hit by this.

Interestingly, the Unreal team had apparently stopped GPG/PGP signing
releases because they didn't think it was worth the trouble given how
few people were verifying the signatures.  Oops!  They are now
planning to re-implement that feature.

Nmap has been signing its releases for many years, and we encourage
people to verify the signatures as described here:

http://nmap.org/book/install.html#inst-integrity

I'm the only one who has that signing key, and it is stored locally on
one of my home machines rather than on a production server.  So even
if someone hacks the web site, they can't generate bogus signatures.

Of course you need to be sure you have the right key the first time
you add it to your keychain, and not just trust the fingerprint given
on that web site, which could be hacked.  The real fingerprint is on
page 27 of the Nmap book (http://nmap.org/book/).  Of course you can
also use the PGP web of trust (the Nmap signing key is signed by my
key which is signed by various trusted people).

For those interested in how the Unreal backdoor worked, here is the diff:

http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2010/Jun/284

I'm not trying to attack or insult the UnrealIRCd team--we all make
mistakes.  I just hope their unfortunate situation (which has happened
to many other projects in the past) helps encourage people to practice
safer software.

Also, I think this calls out for an NSE script to detect the backdoor!
Any volunteers?  It is a really simple backdoor, and a script would
allow people to quickly scan their networks for vulnerable servers.
Maybe we should have a general backdoor detection script which can
start out with just Unreal but can be later extended to handle other
backdoors/trojans.

Cheers,
Fyodor