Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [rainmap] RFC on UI mockups

From: alexandru <alex () hackd net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 20:26:20 -0700

On 2010-06-01, at 11:17 PM, Fyodor wrote:

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 03:47:42PM -0700, alexandru wrote:

Upon further review of both the Zenmap UI and the aforementioned
class (Fyodor also brought it up during our last meeting) I think the
most sensible approach would be to take an approach to UI similar to
Zenmap's. I see a big benefit in allowing users that are familiar with
Zenmap already to quickly transfer that knowledge over to Rainmap.

Are there any parts of the Zenmap profile editor UI that anyone has
ideas for improvements for? I mean this both in terms of grouping of
options (though that seems quite straightforward) and other usability
concerns. David, I reckon you might have spent the most amount of time
thinking about it, so maybe you have some ideas queued up already.

Good ideas.  I agree that Zenmap's powerful NmapOptions class is the
sort of approach we should take, and maybe we can even reuse some of
the same code, and some of the same option grouping.  But Rainmap
isn't meant as a full featured Nmap GUI like Zenmap is, so it doesn't
need to offer nearly as many options.  This makes it easier for us to
implement and secure, and easier for users to use.  For this reason,
we can probably fit the scan options on one page rather than dividing
them into 7 tabs as Zenmap does.  Of course the options should still
be grouped together by purpose even on the same page.

Upon further discussion during our weekly meeting today, Fyodor and I prioritized which of Nmap's options will be
offered in Rainmap v1.0:

        http://rainmap.labs.hackd.net/features/

If you have strong opinions about why something should be prioritized differently, please chime in.

It should be much easier to construct the interface for the "new scan" view, now that there is a clear picture of
exactly which options will be offered.

I think Rainmap should, eventually, offer the same options as Zenmap, to satisfy users who may want to self-host it.
But as with any software, we'll build it piece by piece. After all, there's gotta be some work left-over for v2.0 ;)
That said, the interface should be extensible enough so that it can present *all* options if so configured, without
requiring a (complete) redesign.

For example, Rainmap won't have to do Idle scans, FTP bounce attacks,
-iR, user-specified -iL, or anything at all from the "Source" tab.
Most of the "timing" tab is unneccessary as well.

Cheers,
Fyodor

--
@