Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Vulnerability Scan based on osvdb

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 10:53:01 -0600

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 01:10:40PM +0200, Marc Ruef wrote:
I am currently working on a neat little nmap nse script. It uses the
version detection module of nmap to lookup potential flaws within the
offline csv export of osvdb. A first version of this script is running
already :) [1]

The basic idea is to use the version detection in port.version.product
and port.version.version to get the known vulnerabilities[2]. I am going
to match those with the offline cve export of osvdb[3].

As mentioned before in [4], there is some trouble regarding the
coherence of product names (especially between different sources). For
example:

* nmap determines Apache as "Apache httpd" and osvdb uses "Apache"
(id1800 in object_products).
* nmap determines IIS as "Microsoft IIS httpd" and osvdb uses "IIS"
(id1778 in object_products).

Thus, it is not easy to match the products between those two sources. I
am currently using an intermediate lookup table which considers the
individual patterns. This is not that easy because there are many
different product names to review (but I am expecting most of them are
similar). However, my two questions are:

1) Has somebody done such a match table before and is able to share the
results?

2) Does it make sense to follow the patterns of osvdb and replace them
in nmap (or vice versa)?

I'm not aware of any mapping between Nmap-style names and OSVDB names.
Nmap's names are meant to be human-readable, so they sometimes have a
description of the server type along with the name.

There are still probably inconsistencies in Nmap's database with regard
to naming. If OSVDB's is more consistent, then I would recommend mapping
Nmap names to OSVDB names.

There was a proposal to use Common Platform Enumeration (CPE) in Nmap
version and OS output, but it didn't promise to bring much benefit and
no one implemented it. I admit something like that would make it easier
to do machine matching against a database.

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q4/626

David Fifield