Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ncat broadcast support?

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 21:39:18 -0600

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 11:52:31AM -0500, Daniel Miller wrote:
Compiled this on Win32 (Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express). It wouldn't
build at first, due to some linker errors and a whole slew of error
constants referenced in a system include file not being defined (I ended
up copy-and-pasting the definitions from elsewhere. Not pretty, and not
correct, but it shouldn't have affected this, since the constants
weren't referenced anywhere else).

Oddly, though, I had success sending broadcast messages both with and
without the new --broadcast flag on Windows! Can anyone confirm with an
unpatched build that this works? Maybe Windows sockets don't need
SO_BROADCAST set? I just don't know enough about it.

This looks good, and thanks for the patch. I'm going to double-check it
on Windows and then merge it. The only difference is that I don't want
to add a --broadcast option to Ncat. I'm just going to set the option
unconditionally.

David Fifield