Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: old error resurfaced?

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 20:17:15 -0600

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 04:12:07PM -0400, craig bowser wrote:
All, what would cause this error when scanning between locations?

nexthost: Failed to determine dst MAC address for target x.x.x.x
QUITTING!

NMAP works fine when scanning my subnet, but the minute I scan between
locations (i.e. crossing the router), I get that nexthost error.

What is or isn't set correctly in my machine and/or on the router?  (BTW, I
don't have access to the router to view the config)

Thanks.

C:\>nmap -sL x.x.x.x

Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-04-30 15:45 Eastern Daylight
Time

Nmap scan report for *hostname* (x.x.x.x)
Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 0.05 seconds

C:\>nmap -sP x.x.x.x

Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-04-30 15:45 Eastern Daylight
Time

nexthost: Failed to determine dst MAC address for target x.x.x.x
QUITTING!

C:\>nmap -PN -A x.x.x.x

Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-04-30 15:45 Eastern Daylight
Time

nexthost: Failed to determine dst MAC address for target x.x.x.x
QUITTING!

C:\>nmap -A x.x.x.x

Starting Nmap 5.21 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-04-30 16:04 Eastern Daylight
Time

nexthost: Failed to determine dst MAC address for target x.x.x.x
QUITTING!

Please send me (privately, if you like) the output of

nmap --iflist
route print

It's also worth giving 5.30BETA1 a try, as that had some routing-related
changes.

David Fifield