Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Feature request list all IP addresses of a host name

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:45:30 +0100

On 29/04/2010 07:23, Fyodor wrote:
Does anyone have opinions on what "nmap google.com" should do?

At the very least, I'd like to see the results of the dns query to avoid
having to perform the query again.  Sometimes, I specifically don't want
to scan more than one address even if there are more, other times I want
to scan them all and printing the IPs would be a big help here.  I
wouldn't be averse to the idea of nmap quitting if I supplied a hostname
which resolves to several IPs.  Have it print the query result and let
me decide how I want to proceed.  An option to override this behaviour
and let nmap pick a single address for when I don't care would
complement this behaviour.
I definitely do not want nmap to scan more than one address if I only
specify a single hostname, but an option to do so would be fine (for
instance, I know beforehand that the name resolves to several addresses
and I want to scan them all).

I think the key thing is that if I don't know beforehand that a name is
associated with several addresses then I wouldn't know to ensure nmap
doesn't scan them all - nmap should do that itself - and I don't want to
be forced to supply an address to make sure it doesn't happen.

Best,

jah