Nmap Development mailing list archives

need help with ping of list by name

From: "Norris Carden" <ncarden () ascendfcu org>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 11:03:28 -0500

I need help figuring out how to get Nmap to do a ping of a list of
computers and tell me which hosts are up and which are not ... including
the hosts that do not have DNS entries. Here's my scenario:

I exported a list of computers from AD, which I know includes computers
that no longer exist. I need to determine which ones are alive and which
are not. So I tried this:

nmap -sP -iL computers.txt -oA ComputersPing

The output is great for telling me what is alive, and even systems that
have a DNS entry but are not not up. What it does not do is tell
anything about a system that does not have a DNS entry. Because of the
use of DDNS, the retired systems are no longer in DNS.

Is it possible to get Nmap to output details about the entries in the
list that are not in DNS?

Norris Carden